Mayor Muriel Bowser, along with the Director of the Office of Victim Services and Justice Grants Michelle M. Garcia, officially launched the Private Security Camera Incentive Program. The program will provide rebates for the purchase, installation, and registration of a security camera system on the exterior of a building owned or leased by a resident, business, nonprofit, or religious institution.
Potential applicants can visit www.ovsjg.dc.gov or contact the Office of Victim Services and Justice Grants at [email protected] or (202) 727-5124 for more information.
The legislation to create the program was originally introduced in September 2015 as part of Mayor Bowser’s comprehensive public safety agenda, “Safer, Stronger DC.” Councilmember Charles Allen moved the legislation in January, following months of delay by the Judiciary Committee.
For more information on the Mayor’s Safer, Stronger DC package, visit: mayor.dc.gov/saferstronger.
Once the cameras are installed and registered with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), officers will be able to request the video footage from their owners while investigating criminal activity that may have occurred in the vicinity of the camera. In addition, the cameras will help serve as a deterrent to anyone considering a crime against a property – like burglaries and package thefts. MPD will not have live video access to the cameras.
Security cameras purchased and installed after September 22, 2015 are eligible for the program. For the first several months, only addresses within priority MPD police service areas (PSAs) can submit rebate applications. After August 1, addresses anywhere in the District can apply. There is at least one priority PSA in each Ward and they were selected based on crime levels and public safety indicators.
The priority PSAs are:
- MPD First District: PSAs 104, 105, 107 and 108;
- MPD Second District: PSAs 202, 207 and 208;
- MPD Third District: PSAs 302, 303 and 305;
- MPD Fourth District: PSAs 402, 403, 405 and 409;
- MPD Fifth District: All PSAs;
- MPD Sixth District: PSAs 602, 603, 604 and 608; and
- MPD Seventh District: All PSAs.
To identify the PSA of a property address, please visit: http://geospatial.dcgis.dc.gov/PSAFinder. The program has a budget of $500,000. Rebates will be issued so long as funding is available.
The program provides a rebate of:
- Up to $200 of the purchase price per camera installed on the exterior of a residential building, with a maximum rebate of up to $500 per residential address; and
- Up to $200 of the purchase price per camera installed on the exterior of a business, commercial, nonprofit, or religious institution with a maximum rebate of up to $750 per address.